Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Intro

I'll spare you too much history because if you're reading this it's probably because I invited you here and you already know about my Great Escape from religion.  I intend to continue blogging over at Make It Do Farm, but wanted a place I could speak a little more freely my thoughts on Christianity.  Okay, in truth I just need a place I can vent sometimes.  Do I need an audience for this?  No.  No, I don't.  I have a journal full of anti-religion rants to prove it.  (Hey... there's an idea!  I can post some of my journal entries.  Ha!  Like you want to read all that.)  But I would like one because I'm human and that's what humans want, right?  I could toss out some psycho-babble about our need for intimacy, our need to connect with others of our species...   Yeah.  Or maybe we just want someone to read our stuff because we are full of ourselves.

You'll notice a counter at the bottom of this page.  I guessed at the hour part, but I do remember the exact day I looked at the Bible in my hand and realized it was entirely man-made.  Of course, all my years of study (I make myself sound so ancient and self-important!) had revealed twisted words here and there, verses with misleading punctuation ("verily verily I say unto you, this day you will be with me in paradise," or "verily verily I say unto you this day, you will be with me in paradise"?), entire passages in error, and gradually whole books, and the whole New Testament (plunging us into Judaism for a few weeks), always considering the entire Bible, comparing it with itself, but then one day my husband and I saw through the Tanach (Old Testament), too.  I closed the book.  There was nothing left in it for me.  I thought I might someday open it again to read some teachings of this Jesus character who may or may not have ever existed, but I haven't felt inclined.  There are better sources for moral teaching.


If you haven't already, you may read the overly long and drawn-out details of my spiritual journey and my escape from religion on my other blog.  This link will take you to my Deism category, though I rather transitioned into Agnosticism, so you might want to check out that category, too.


I try not to let the fact that I am a recovering Christian define me, just wanting to move on and figure out who I am, but as I move along I find that it really is a significant, defining factor in my life.  Especially since I am surrounded by Christians in this little rural town.  Especially since most of the people in my life knew me when I was a Bible believer.  It's not such a terrible defining factor if you acknowledge it and work with it.  I reckon I'm doing a fairly good job of moving on, but I also like to consider things.  It seems every time I turn around I'm discovering something new about myself and about religion and how we both affect this world.  I like to contemplate these things.  Maybe I will hit on some way to affect significant change in the world, in the people around me.  At the very least I hope my observations will better equip me to better equip my children for their own journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment